Thursday, October 14, 2010

If you write on it, you keep it

I spent an equal amount of time reading this week's essays as I did erasing the stupid little notes from the fool who owned my book before me. At first, I didn't even know if I owned a pencil, or an eraser for that matter. Generally speaking, I'm a pen man myself. I feel like you're more likely to write something stupid with a pencil. After all, it's easily enough erased. With a pen, you're committed to what you're writing. It sort of makes a guy think ahead. If what I put down is permanent, I actually need to think about it. Some fool got a hold of a pencil, and that was game over for my book. Any inane little thought that popped into his or her head went all over the essays. "He doesn't want to be like his father", he/she comments at one point. No way? Was that a profound thought for you, or did you really think you'd forget that?
You'll excuse my bitterness; I hate erasing things. But I did like these two pieces. I have a question, though. Does a guy have to be gay to be published in this anthology? I'm detecting quite the pattern here...

3 comments:

  1. Interesting thought regarding the difference between pencils and pens. I don't know that I've ever looked at it that way before. And as for that last question, after reading this week's assignments I've been wondering that too...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ha! Loved this post. I can't decide whether I am a pen or pencil (wo)man myself. I like that I can make thin and thick lines with a pencil but I like the permanence of a pen.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I hope your hand is not suffering from the torture of erasing so many past scribbles! You have my deepest sympathy for the tragedy that befell your book. Unless someone's margin comments are so distracting that I can't concentrate on the text, I usually leave them. If a note is stupid, I write this opinion in the space below...in pencil.

    ReplyDelete