Friday, October 8, 2010

Bouncy Balls and Eternal Halls

"I went to a funeral once."
That's how I started my first paragraph of my second project. I want to write something about my great-grandpa and hopefully capture a little bit of who he was through the piece. But I realized very quickly how nearly impossible it is to capture who someone was using nothing but a child's memories. Trying to write who this man was on a piece of paper is like trying to catch a bucketful of smoke. (Hold on, because this is where the cool title ties in.)
I remember this time as a little kid, we were staying in a hotel with my dad's side of the family for our Christmas get-together. In my grandpa's mind, staying at the Ramada was much better than going to anyone's house. Anyway, I had this bouncy ball, and I carried it around in my pocket over the couple of days we had gotten together for the holiday, taking it out now and again to bounce as I walked. Occasionally, it would deflect off a rough spot in the thin carpet and skip away down the hall, and I would chase after it, bent over like someone attempting to scoop up a loose baby chick. After a while, I just stopped chasing it because I started to feel pretty foolish. I knew eventually the ball would stop and I could catch up to it and pick it up again. But what if the ball never did stop? What if it bounced down a hall that never ended?
I think sometimes writing from memory is like that. You can't wait for the ball to stop and then go pick it up and examine it. Sometimes with memory, all you have is that bent-over hobbling run, trying desperately to catch the ball but getting nothing more than the glimpses of it, now and again a brief touch as it bounces and skips right through your fingers.
And that, Great Grandpa, is why I'm worried about this story. It's because every year, you skip a little further away from me. I hope you like what I write.

4 comments:

  1. Your writing is beautiful, Takota. I enjoyed reading your first two pages earlier this morning! In fact, I had a conversation with a couple of my friends (some from class, some not!) about what a versatile writer you are. You can write humor and tragedy, you can be honest and also cynical (in an endearing way, I assure you!). I enjoy your writing, just as I have since your "Noodles & Co." story from Intermediate Writing!

    I cannot wait to see where you go with this idea of memory and your great grandfather. I'm sure it will be mesmerizing.

    Signed, one of your biggest fans. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Memories are funny things. I have always been intrigued by why the psyche holds onto some moments and not others. For example, why is it that I have a very vivid memory of standing in my grandma's bathroom, watching her put makeup on... while I cannot remember a thing about the day my middle brother was brought home from the hospital? Both happened around the same point on my life's timeline, and one was most definitely more life-changing than the other. And yet...

    Why do I hold onto the "bouncy balls" that I do?

    As Dottie so eloquently stated, I think that this is going to be a marvelous adventure for you.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love what you have said about memory, and about not wanting Grandpa to bounce away. I really appreciate how you have said the most profound thing I've heard in a week in just a paragraph. You are one amazing dude. Chase the ball, man. I am excited to see what you come up with.

    ReplyDelete