Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Who even knows anymore?

I really felt a strong hippie sort of vibe radiating off both of these pieces. I'll talk about Wendell Berry's "Getting Along With Nature" first, since it weirded me out less than Annie Dillard's "Living Like Weasels".
As a country boy, I think Berry hit it dead on in his piece. He could have really gone tree-hugger with it, but he really presented an interesting scope on the issue. As human beings, we both desire some level of the natural and require some amount of the industrial. We can't any of us handle a completely raw natural environment; we simply wouldn't survive. Even those rugged pioneers and Plains Indians living on the windswept plains had some sort of man-made shelter, some sort of weaponry for protection, some little piece of industrialization in their battle against Mother Nature. With the years have come a steady advance in industrialization. And now one is left to wonder: Have we gone too far? I really appreciated Berry's words, "No good thing is destroyed by goodness; good things are destroyed by goodness." No man could have said it better (especially not me. I'm just way off today).
"Living Like Weasels" will get only a small piece of our time. Pardon my gruffness when I say, What the balls? This would be that hippie vibe I was picking up. Whereas Berry touched on the natural preservationist aspect, Dillard seemed to be covering the drug-induced musing aspect. It was like some sort of LSD/marijuana/peyote cocktail. Just too weird. That's all I have to say about that.


No comments:

Post a Comment